Monday, May 14, 2018

Wow! It has been such a long time since I have done or posted anything here... I am not sure anyone really reads what I post, but maybe that will change, and in my own way be able to influence others for the better.

I have been doing a lot of pondering lately, about the Universe, Life, People, Society, etc., really the whole of things.

I was in the Army for over 16 years before being forced to retire for disability. I have always been a thinker, and because of my attributes served in Human Intelligence. And while serving in the Army some very core beliefs were strengthened that were taught to me by my father and mother growing up. Now I know that each person has their favorite "moral" or "value," but for me this is Respect. As a human being, and living here in this existence, however you view it, we make mistakes and have some challenges, sometimes considered failures... but I have learned and always do learn from these events. And it has tempered my understanding and perception of things and people. I have learned that every single person at the core wants to be respected and loved. By showing respect, people tend to open up, and in my opinion as the old Zen/Taoist belief that the wings of a butterfly can cause typhoons, tend to reflect that respect back to you and to others. It doesn't always happen this way, but it does happen, and that makes me happy.

Now some may agree with me, and some may not, but I also believe that Respect is a value best applied to all things. For example, when we get some new gadget, car, computer, clothing, etc. we tend to show attention to those things and take care of them, respecting them if you will, so that they last, shine, perform the way we want, and help us bring happiness or pleasure into our lives. What if we all started showing the same amount of respect to everything around us? Isn't that a novel concept? This respect, extended to the animals, insects, "inanimate" objects, would in turn foster the best of them, as well as us, and I think synergistically improve the very moment and place we are in at any given time. For example, most would agree that animals are living beings that, while not like us, still deserve to be happy, respected, cared for, etc, but what about plants? What about the very earth itself? Many people refer to earth as "mother" earth. It is our home, for whatever piece of it we exist on, yet do we show this great "mother" the same respect we show our own homes? Is it not our home as well? We live in a time of consumption... and I am not saying consumption is a bad thing, but in the view of time and experience, wouldn't that consumption best serve all if done in "moderation?" What about if we did our "consumptioning" with responsibility and respect for others and the earth "herself?" I think if we thought this way, not to be forced or shamed into thinking so, but actually respected our surroundings, produced consumables that didn't create as much waste that just gets thrown into landfills and dumped into the ocean, or even carelessly thrown to the side as we walk, ride, drive by... what a much nicer place we would be in, and in effect, change how we feel and treat ourselves and others with greater respect. If you took a person and placed them into a home that was trashed, how would they respond? Consider that compared to if they were placed into a home that was nice, clean, and tidy?

The point is. I do believe in consumption as if we didn't consume we would die. I do believe in free market and industry. I believe in the choice to hunt, gather, farm, etc... but I put forth the notion, why don't we all try harder everyday to show respect to all things around us... and watch what happens and how it affects us and those around us? I think we will find that things in general will start to improve in all facets of life.

This is just my thoughts. I hope that they got you thinking. I do not expect you to agree, but think for yourself and focus on the good things, and lessen the things that make us feel down.

No comments:

Post a Comment